Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Why is rest important? As we embark on a new year and a new decade, one of the most important things we need to factor in to our goals and plans is the value of rest.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- The importance of rest and recovery
- The many different forms of rest
- Rest and heartfulness
- What you gain when you rest and recover
- The reason why most people are under-recovered is that they’re not getting enough rest, they’re not prioritising it and not appreciating it.
- Most people think of rest as “bed rest”, but it can come in many other forms as well. There is active rest, which is perhaps taking a walk. And rest can also be hobbies.
- Heartfulness is reconnecting with a hobby or a passion that you used to really enjoy. It’s very restful for the mind, it’s very restful for the body, and it can really make a huge difference to your wellbeing.
- Your passions are also another form of rest. And that might be connecting with other people or doing things for something that’s bigger than you.
- Meditation and meditative things are also very good for resting the mind and resting the body.
- The ultimate rest and recovery comes when we sleep.
- Prioritise and appreciate rest.
- Practice heartfulness.
- Seize back some of your autonomy by prioritising the things that you love.
- Think about what it is that you find restful and open up your mind to what that thing could be. Then make some time in your diary to make sure it happens.
“I feel like we don’t have a great deal of autonomy. Like we’re always dancing to someone else’s tune, whether that’s work or family life or the rhythms of your household.”
“It isn’t necessarily about being inactive but rest can be active as well. And it can just be about reconnecting with hobbies and passions, the things that relax your mind and make you feel a bit more connected to the world.”
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts.
More from Leanne Spencer:
Bodyshot Performance Limited Facebook page
Remove the Guesswork BOOK by Leanne Spencer
Rise and Shine BOOK by Leanne Spencer