How do martial arts help to develop character and confidence? Find out in my interview with Sebastian Bates, the Founder of The Warrior Academy, where they use a combination of modern training and traditional values to help children overcome bullying and develop a moral compass that will lead them to success.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- What drew Sebastian into martial arts
- Martial arts as a vehicle to build character and confidence
- The Warrior Academy programme
- The 3 Cs of character development
- The physical adaptations involved in martial arts training
- The daily habit routine that students are taught in The Warrior Academy
- Having that understanding that you know how to defend yourself, even if you don’t use it, changes the way you approach situations. It changes the way you react in an emotional way when someone is being aggressive towards you or bullying you.
- 85% of students who go through bullying become bullies themselves.
- When it comes to bullying, it’s not just the child that goes through it, it’s the whole family.
- There are so many lessons and values and an amazing moral compass that you can give a child through martial arts.
- The end goal, rather than being a black belt, is a black belt character. And that’s a child with high levels of conduct, concentration, and confidence, someone with a really developed moral compass.
- Mindfulness meditation is the ultimate form of self-defence.
- Consider learning martial arts.
- Practice meditation.
“Writing the book, the reason for that is because I just couldn’t stand the sort of hopelessness and helplessness that parents go through when they watch their child go through bullying time and time again, and they can’t seem to find a way out of it.”
“We use martial arts as the vehicle to build a child’s character, because it’s just such an empowering thing to teach a child.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things mentioned in the show:
- The Warrior Method: Develop Confidence, Respect and Focus in Your Child by Giving Them a Black Belt Mindset by Sebastian Bates
More from Sebastian Bates:
- Sebastian’s Instagram
- The Warrior Academy’s Instagram
- The Warrior Academy Website (UK)
- The Warrior Academy Website (Dubai)
- The Warrior Academy Facebook Page
More from Leanne Spencer: