Podcast: Play in new window | Download
What does it take to recover from addiction? Addiction specialist Dr. Robert Lefever talks about the difference between abstinence and recovery, the Lefever Clusters of Addictive Behaviours, and the modern addiction treatments he uses with his patients.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- The definition of addiction
- The difference between abstinence and recovery
- The reason why people relapse
- The 3 aspects of recovery
- The 3 courses of addiction
- The genetic component of addiction
- Addiction is the inability to predict what’s going to happen after the first use.
- The 3 aspects of recovery:
- Peace of mind
- Happy and mutually fulfilling relationships
- Spontaneity, creativity, and enthusiasm
- Addiction is a neuro-transmission disease. It is
- The 3 courses of addiction:
- The crucial issue is always “Am I an addict?” That applies to one in six of the population.
- Children of alcoholics of the same sex have a 60% chance of becoming alcoholics. Children of the opposite sex have a 40% chance and children having both parents as alcoholics have an 80% chance of becoming alcoholics.
- Learn more about addiction.
- Look after yourself.
“These crazy ideas come out of the blue. It’s not premeditated, it’s not because of some dreadful trauma, it just happens. Therefore, we need to use a preventive… in order to prevent a relapse. That brings me abstinence. “
“The crucial issue that I’m trying to get through is that I may have an addictive nature and have a genetic predisposition but I can do a great deal for it… I can cope with it by finding ways that work.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things mentioned in the show:
More from Dr. Robert Lefever:
Dr. Robert’s Twitter (@doctorlefever)
More from Leanne Spencer:
Bodyshot Performance Limited Facebook page
Remove the Guesswork BOOK by Leanne Spencer
Rise and Shine BOOK by Leanne Spencer