How can we nurture our mitochondria? And what is the light diet? Matt Maruca shares more of his knowledge in Part 2 of my in-depth interview with him all about the mitochondria.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/podcasts-blog for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- How you can nurture your mitochondria
- Mitochondrial genetics and mitochondrial medicine
- The light diet
- Our mitochondria have their own genes that specifically come from our mothers.
- The single most important factor in repairing our mitochondrial DNA is melatonin.
- Melatonin is not just a synthetic chemical that’s in a bottle, it’s a carrier of sunlight energy.
- The majority of molecules that drive our biology, especially our neurotransmitters and key hormones, are designed to be programmes, timed, and powered by the light of the sun.
- When we wake up at first light, this tunes our circadian rhythm for the day and allows for all our biological functions to function properly.
- A great way to know if you have a disrupted circadian rhythm is if you don’t have a natural bowel movement every morning.
- Mitochondrial energy production is equivalent to metabolism. So when people say you have a fast metabolism, it’s because your mitochondria work well.
- As we age, our mitochondria slowly work less and less well, meaning we have a slow metabolism, which means we gain weight more easily.
The 6 Steps of the Light Diet
- Wake up at first light and watch the sunrise. And expose yourself to more sunlight during the day.
- Eat a lot of seafood.
- Avoid man-made electromagnetic radiation.
- Get cold water exposure. Get in a cold bath, take a cold shower, expose yourself to the elements, and wear lighter layers.
- Watch the sunset.
- Make yourself your first priority.
“You have to be the highest value in your own life. You have to be your own end. And you can’t be the means to anyone else’s end or the means to anything else other than your own existence. Your own existence justifies your life and it justifies everything you do.”
“You are the most valuable thing in your life and you have to treat yourself like that, and then you can be of the most value to others.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things mentioned in the show:
- Dr. Doug Wallace’s articles in PubMed
- How to Make Your iPhone Screen Red for Blue Light Blocking
- Going Somewhere: Truth About a Life in Science by Andrew Marino
- The Fourth Phase of Water: Beyond Solid, Liquid, and Vapor by Gerald Pollack
- Oura Ring – use discount code BODYSHOT for €50 off
- Ra Optics – use discount code BODYSHOT and get 10% off
More from Matt Maruca:
More from Leanne Spencer: