What makes functional medicine effective in treating stress and inflammation? Victoria Fenton shares her story of how she got into functional medicine and talks about how we can recover from stress and inflammation.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- Victoria’s personal health story that led her into functional medicine
- Why people are getting interested in functional medicine
- What is inflammation
- The factors that can cause inflammation in a negative sense
- How stress is related to inflammation
- The autonomic nervous system
- How long it takes for the body to come down from an inflammatory state
- The stress bucket
- Functional medicine is not “What can it treat?” It can treat everything. It’s just a different thought process. It’s a whole different way of looking at biochemistry.
- Many people are starting to realise that nutrition, supplementing, and good lifestyle practices have a lot of health benefits.
- Inflammation is a set of physiological responses that occur in response to a stressor of any kind.
- A normal inflammatory response tends to be in an acute setting where there is a need to have an instant and fairly extreme physiological response. When that goes on for a long time and there is this constant underlying chronic inflammation, that can be problematic for the physiology.
- Stress can be a virus, a bacteria, or a toxin coming into your system that your body needs to deal with.
- Manage your stress.
- Make sure to get enough good-quality sleep.
“The biggest thing I have to manage is stress because stress puts all of my system on high alert, and from high alert, all the problems can then go forth.”
“Your body doesn’t do anything for the wrong reasons. It doesn’t make mistakes generally. It’s not stupid. It’s actually responding quite intelligently to the environment that it’s presented with.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things mentioned in the show:
- Episode 71:Interconnected Health And The Gut: Analysing My Latest Results And Exploring The Links Between Gut Health And Mental Health With Not One But Three Doctors!
- Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker
- Matthew Walker podcast with Peter Attia
- Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression – and the Unexpected Solutions by Johann Hari
More from Victoria Fenton:
More from Leanne Spencer: