Here are my five top supplements that I recommend for mental health.
- Krill or fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids such as EPA and DHA that are really good for the memory and brain. We can’t actually synthesise these omega-3s ourselves. We can synthesise omega-6s, but we need to get omega-3s from food sources or from supplementary sources; ideally a combination of the two. For memory and brain health, I recommend that you get a decent krill or fish oil. We can recommend some brands, just get in touch with us if you’d like some help on that.
- St. John’s Wort: This has been proven with over 30 studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of St. John’s Wort for mild depression. Interestingly, not for severe depression, but for mild depression it’s been very effective. St. John’s Wort’s derived from a tiny yellow plant has been used for hundreds of years to help with mental health conditions.
- Magnesium is a mineral that’s involved in about 325 biochemical processes, and is good for calming and relaxing. It has also been proven to help with anxiety. You can take magnesium orally via a tablet, or via a spray applied directly to the skin, which is what I do. I take topical magnesium,which I spray on the back of my neck, chest, arms and legs; it’s particularly good for muscle recovery too. A lot of people are deficient in magnesium, so if you’re feeling under the weather or suffering from poor mental health do have a look at magnesium.
- Tryptophan is typically found in food. It’s an essential amino acid found in eggs, fish, raw dairy and nuts. Tryptophan is important because it’s a precursor for something called serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter most of which is found in the gut but there’s also some up in the brain, and it’s essential for good mental health. Serotonin, or a deficiency in serotonin has been linked to conditions such as depression.
- Prebiotics help to introduce new and healthy bacteria into the gut by feeding the existing bacteria. Prebiotics include foods such as onions and garlic, and can be taken orally in the form of a tablet. You can also take them with fermented foods including kefir. Trying to get interesting and different foods into your diet will help, but focus on prebiotics, particularly if you’ve got mental health issues. Prebiotics help with treating the gut, a well accepted way of treating mental health conditions, as well as physical conditions like autoimmune conditions.
If you’ve got any questions, please contact me at email@example.com.
Bodyshot Mental Health Package
We have brought together everything you need to optimise your mental health, in one package. The Mental Health Package includes the DNA test for diet and fitness, a non-invasive blood test panel for thyroid and vitamin D3, and a 21-day course of goat milk kefir, made from a traditional recipe by our partner in Wales.
Once we’ve received the results of your DNA and blood test, we arrange a suitable time for the consultation which takes place online and lasts approximately 60 minutes. In the consultation, we analyse your results, explain what everything means and draw up a personalised action plan.
Our Mental Health Package includes an eBook and accompanying video that talks you through the Mental Health Signal and gives you loads of tips, information and a resource you can keep coming back to. The eBook is a concise summary of everything we’ve learned from the hundreds of clients we’ve helped to optimise their mental health.
What you get:
- DNA test for diet and fitness
- Custom Blood Panel
- 21 Day Course of Goat Milk Kefir
- Consultation with a Health Expert
If you would like to find out more about this package click here.
What’s your Health IQ?
If you’re reading this, you’re are probably in a reasonably senior position, running your own business or have a busy life running the home and juggling other responsibilities. Either way, you’re busy. The convergent pressures of work and family life have probably meant that the time you did have to spend on health and fitness has disappeared. Why not talk to us and see how we can help.
Leanne Spencer is an entrepreneur, coach, TEDx Speaker, author of Remove the Guesswork, and founder of Bodyshot Performance Limited. Bodyshot is a health and fitness consultancy that helps busy professionals get more energy by removing the guesswork around their health, fitness and nutrition. Visit www.bodyshotperformance.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest in our services and connect with us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.