Podcast: Play in new window | Download
How is your relationship with alcohol? And what is it like to be sober curious? Dawn Comolly and I share our individual stories on what led us to give up alcohol and the challenges of abstaining from it.
We talk about what it takes to start opening up your awareness to your relationship with alcohol and examining how healthy that relationship is, as well as some of the things that you can do to make it healthier without necessarily involving abstinence.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- What life without alcohol is like
- The strength you get from sobriety
- How to tell when you’ve got a drinking problem
- What it takes to start opening up your awareness of your relationship with alcohol
- What it’s like to be sober curious
- Mindful drinking
- The only person that’s going to save you from alcohol is yourself. As soon as you realise that, it opens up a world of possibilities.
- If you think sobriety is boring, sobriety will be boring. If you think sobriety can be amazing, sobriety can be amazing. It’s all about the mindset. It’s not about what you’ve got in your glass, it’s about how you deal with your life and how you change things for the better.
- You can’t fix an internal hole with something external. You have to do the work yourself.
- There’s no point, in the beginning, doing the same things that you were doing before and expecting a different result.
- The sober community is very strong in admiring other people’s successes and supporting other people’s failures.
- Commit to sobriety for a year. Once you get to the 6th month, your mindset is entirely different.
- Practice self-love and self-care, and be patient with yourself.
- Flood your mind with sobriety.
- Make sure your environment is conducive to sobriety.
“My health, my weight, my entire life is just so much better without alcohol in it.”
“I did think that by giving up alcohol… life was going to be really boring because sobriety is sold as being grey, dull, monotonous… and that’s partly what my aim is, is to explain that sobriety doesn’t have to be what society is telling us it is.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things mentioned in the show:
- The Sober Diaries: How One Woman Stopped Drinking and Started Living by Clare Pooley
- The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober: Discovering a Happy, Healthy, Wealthy Alcohol-Free Life
- Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs
- Alcohol Explained by William Porter
- Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression – and the Unexpected Solutions by Johann Hari
- Sober Fish cards on Etsy
- Join Club Soda
More from Dawn Comolly:
More from Leanne Spencer:
Bodyshot Performance Limited Facebook page
Remove the Guesswork BOOK by Leanne Spencer
Rise and Shine BOOK by Leanne Spencer