Are you having sleep issues? Giles Watkins shares insights from his book Positive Sleep and talks about what triggered his own sleep issues and how he overcame them to become the sleep expert he is today.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- What prompted Giles to write a book about sleep
- How sleep issues impact health and fitness
- The link between diet and exercise and sleep
- Why people don’t prioritize or give enough value to sleep
- Good habits around sleep
- Good sleep discipline or sleep hygiene for children
- Sleep and performance for leaders
- Sleep in the workplace
- Tips to sleep better
- There’s been very little education about the benefits of sleep that people think it’s something almost disposable.
- Naps taken at the right time of day for the right amount of time can really help you if you’re having sleep problems.
- Your higher-order mental skills are extremely well-benefited by a good night’s sleep. The reverse is also true. If you sleep poorly, your executive functions are affected much more so than your physical functions.
- There are four areas in terms of leadership behaviour that get affected when you don’t get good sleep:
- Results orientation
- Seeking different perspectives
- Supporting others
- Practice mindfulness techniques that can help you sleep better.
- Caffeine interferes with the natural system around sleep, so reduce if not completely cut off your caffeine intake.
- Teach your kids good sleeping habits and instill sleep hygiene.
- Keep phones and tablets away from your kids before they go to bed as well as first thing in the morning.
- Take Epsom salt baths.
“[Naps] are more than just a sticking plaster, they genuinely can help you.”
“Before long, the impact of short sleeping and the dangers of it for people driving will be even more lethal than alcohol-related driving incidents.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things mentioned in the show:
- Positive Sleep: A Holistic Approach to Resolve Sleep Issues and Transform Your Life by Giles Watkins
- The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time by Arianna Huffington
- Why We Sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker
More from Giles Watkins:
More from Leanne Spencer: