Podcast: Play in new window | Download
How do you recover from addiction? In part 2 of my interview with Dr. Robert Lefever, we talk about the different types of addiction, his particular method for recovery, and the 12-step program.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- The various emotional treatments used by Dr. Lefever
- The stigma of addiction
- Recovering from dopamine addiction
- The danger and risk of cross-addiction
- The 12-step program and its godly element
- The Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is a wonderful process when done sensibly by well-trained and experienced people.
- There’s not much difference between the alcoholic, the heroin addict, the workaholic, and the people addicted to their smartphones. All addiction is progressive and destructive.
- One of the definitions of madness is doing the same thing again and again and hoping for different results.
- Be aware of all your addictions.
- Have a clear picture of what you’re looking for in recovery. If you don’t know what you want in recovery, you won’t get it.
“I am not ashamed about being an addict… I’m not ashamed of being an alcoholic; I’m not ashamed of being short-sighted; I’m not ashamed of being allergic to dust and to pollen; that’s just part of me. But I am guilty of my behaviour.”
“We don’t know enough about people to be able to make pronouncements about them. The only person I can know about is me, and yet I don’t see myself very well… ‘I am an addict, pure and simple,’ is something that I have to remind myself because I have a natural forgetting mechanism.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things mentioned in the show:
Past episode mentioned that you shouldn’t miss:
Recovering From Addictive Behaviours With Author And Addiction Specialist Dr Robert Lefever – Part 1
More from Dr. Robert Lefever:
Dr. Robert’s Twitter (@doctorlefever)
More from Leanne Spencer:
Bodyshot Performance Limited Facebook page
Remove the Guesswork BOOK by Leanne Spencer
Rise and Shine BOOK by Leanne Spencer