This salad is not only refreshing; it’s layered with multi-textured flavour. Nutty black rice forms the base and is offset by slices of tempeh, mango, red peppers and radishes. We drizzle over a peanut satay-style dressing to serve.
- 100g black rice
- 1 lime
- 1 mango
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 200g tempeh
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tbsp peanut paste
- 4cm fresh ginger
- 60g radishes
- Medium handful of fresh coriander
658 calories • 80g carbs • 25g fat • 31g protein
Peanuts, Sesame, Soya
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the black rice and place in a saucepan with 500ml boiling water with a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 25-30 mins, then drain.
2. Roughly dice the red pepper. Peel and de-stone the mango and cut into 1cm cubes. Thinly slice the radishes. Thinly slice the spring onions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Roughly chop the coriander leaves.
3. To make the peanut dressing; peel and grate the ginger. In a small bowl, mix the peanut paste with a drizzle of the tamari (to taste), a squeeze of lime juice and 1-2 tbsp cold water until a smooth sauce forms. Stir in half of the grated ginger.
4. Cut the tempeh into 1/2 cm thick slices.
5. Heat a large frying pan with 1/2 tbsp sesame oil on a medium-high heat and cook the tempeh slices for 3-4 mins each side until turning golden, add the remaining tamari to the pan, along with the remaining ginger, the white spring onions and the red pepper and cook for 3 mins until the red pepper has softened.
6. Mix the drained black rice with the remaining sesame oil, a squeeze of lime juice (to taste), the mango, chopped coriander and sliced radishes.
7. Spoon the mango veggie rice into two warm bowls and top with the tempeh slices. Drizzle over the peanut dressing and sprinkle over the green spring onions.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person.
This is a recipe from the Mindful Chef, and if you’d like to sign up to receive their healthy recipe boxes, just use the code BODYSHOT at checkout and you will receive £10 off your first box. They offer a wide variety of recipes including vegetarian and vegan options.