This filling plant-based bolognese is full of the flavours of the countryside: fragrant thyme, sweet sundried tomato, hearty mushrooms and earthy lentils. Served on courgetti with a sprinkle of pine nuts.
- 120g chestnut mushrooms
- 180g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 200g carrot
- 200g passata
- 20g pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp Belazu sundried tomato paste
- 300g courgette
- 80g dried brown lentils
- Medium handful of fresh thyme
444 calories • 46g carbs • 21g fat • 19g protein
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the lentils and place in a pan with 300ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25-30 mins until tender.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic. Peel and finely dice the carrot. Finely slice the mushrooms and cut the tomatoes in half. Remove the leaves from the thyme sprigs.
3. Heat a large pan with 2 tsp oil on a medium heat, add the garlic and carrot and cook for 5 mins. Then add the mushrooms and tomatoes to the pan for 5 mins until all the vegetables have softened.
4. Add the passata, sundried tomato paste and the thyme leaves to the vegetable pan and cook for a further 5 mins. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
5. Meanwhile, remove the ends of the courgettes but leave the skin on. Prepare the courgetti using a peeler and slice the courgettes into long thin strips (or use a julienne peeler or spiralizer).
6. Heat a frying pan with 1 tsp oil on a medium heat, add the courgetti and cook for 1 minute until the courgetti has slightly softened.
7. Drain the lentils and stir through the vegetable bolognese sauce. Serve the courgetti on two warm plates and spoon the lentil bolognese over the middle of the courgetti. Sprinkle over the pine nuts.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person
This is a recipe from the Mindful Chef, and if you’d like to sign up to receive their healthy recipe boxes, just use the code BODYSHOT at checkout and you will receive £10 off your first box. They offer a wide variety of recipes including vegetarian and vegan options.