Our spicy Mexican chilli is made with red kidney beans and packed full of flavour, served alongside sweet potato fries and zesty crushed avocado.
- 1 lime
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 avocados
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 480g kidney beans (drained)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 600g sweet potato
- Large handful of fresh coriander
564 calories • 76g carbs • 20g fat • 17g protein
Prep time: 15 mins
1. Preheat the oven to 220C / gas mark 7 and boil a kettle.
2. Leaving the skin on, cut the sweet potato into thin fries and place on a large baking tray lined with parchment. Toss with ½ tbsp oil, sea salt, black pepper and ⅓ of the smoked paprika until well coated. Place in the oven for 20-25 mins until turning golden, turning halfway through.
3. Peel and dice the red onion and grate the garlic. Drain and rinse the kidney beans.
4. Heat a large pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and cook the onion for 5 mins. While the onion is cooking, finely dice the red pepper and yellow pepper. Add the peppers, garlic, ground cumin and the remaining smoked paprika to the pan and cook for 2 mins.
5. Then add the kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, 200ml boiling water and the chipotle paste. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 mins.
6. To make a guacamole: cut the avocados in half and remove the stones, spoon out the avocado flesh and place into a bowl, then mash with a fork and season with sea salt and black pepper. Roughly chop the coriander leaves. Add a squeeze of lime juice to the avocado (to taste) and a sprinkle of coriander. Stir the remaining coriander through the Mexican bean chilli.
7. To serve, spoon the Mexican chilli into four warm bowls and top with the guacamole. Serve alongside the sweet potato fries.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person.
This is a recipe from the Mindful Chef, and if you’d like to sign up to receive their healthy recipe boxes, just use the code BODYSHOT at checkout and you will receive £10 off your first box. They offer a wide variety of recipes including vegetarian and vegan options.