Podcast: Play in new window | Download
What do purpose, personal values, and resilience have to do with leadership? Let’s dive into it with Ex-Royal Marine Roderic Yapp.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/podcasts-blog for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- Roderic’s career in the Royal Marine and how it got him to do what he does now
- The natural transition from military to leadership
- How Roderic’s experiences while in the military inform the work that he does now
- Resilience and the key to acquiring it
- Telling the difference between what hurts and what’s painful
- Roderic’s purpose and personal values
- The military is one of those few organisations out there that really understands that all they have is their people, and they really are willing to invest in them.
- Although the military is a hierarchical organisation where an officer has the capacity to give orders and tell people what to do, by and large, it just doesn’t really work like that. It works more on the currency of trust.
- Leadership is ultimately about improving judgment, not teaching people how to do things. It’s about empowering people to make the right decision at the right time.
- More and more people are struggling to cope with the modern world, which calls for the need to develop resilience.
- Leadership is done by your behaviour and the example you set.
- Ask yourself: What does a good life look like? And in your mind, work backward from there.
- Be very clear about your purpose and personal values.
- Invest a bit of your time to getting better tomorrow.
“Leadership is all about behaviour. The behaviour is fundamentally context-dependent.”
“Comfort can be a dangerous thing. Too much comfort insulates you.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things we discuss in the show:
More from Roderic Yapp:
Roderic’s Twitter (@Leadership4rces)
More from Leanne Spencer:
Bodyshot Performance Limited Facebook page
Remove the Guesswork BOOK by Leanne Spencer
Rise and Shine BOOK by Leanne Spencer