Podcast: Play in new window | Download
What is menopause? Why is it important that we’re aware of what happens and know accurate information about it? Founder of Let’s Talk Menopause Ruth Devlin enlightens us about the things that happen to our body during menopause and raise awareness especially among women.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- The various stages of menopause and how we can know when it has started
- Lifestyle changes that you can implement to mitigate the symptoms of menopause
- How to manage weight gain during menopause
- What causes weight gain around the middle
- How companies and organizations can make sure they’re menopause-friendly
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and testosterone supplements
- The long-term symptoms of menopause
- Menopause is essentially the transition from your reproductive phase to your nonreproductive phase. You’re actually only menopausal for one day and you’re either perimenopausal or postmenopausal.
- The most symptomatic stage is the perimenopausal stage. It’s when your hormones are fluctuating all over the place.
- Unless you’re prematurely menopausal (45 years old and under), you don’t need to get blood tests done.
- When it comes to mitigating the symptoms of menopause, the more you look at what you’re taking into your body and how much you’re exercising and hydrating can really make a difference. The fitter you are, the healthier you are, and the more hydrated you are, the better everything will work.
- Don’t have dramatic changes to your diet or your exercise level. Make sustainable, realistic choices.
- Pay attention to how much caffeine and alcohol you’re taking in, and moderate it.
- Look into getting cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to mitigate the symptoms of menopause.
- Make sure you do pelvic floor exercises at least once a day.
“With any health issue, let alone the menopause, the fitter you are and how well-nourished you are, and if you’re getting enough sleep, you’re going to be a healthier person. It’s an absolute no-brainer.”
“The benefits massively outweigh the risks when it comes to HRT (hormone replacement therapy) so any menopause specialist out there will advocate taking HRT as the first line of treatment.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things mentioned in the show:
- Let’s Talk Menopause
- Squeezy App
- British Menopause Society
- Women’s Health Concern
- Link to the Menopause Diary
More from Ruth Devlin:
Ruth’s Website (Let’s Talk Menopause)
Ruth’s Twitter (@menopause_talk)
Let’s Talk Menopause Facebook Page
More from Leanne Spencer:
Bodyshot Performance Limited Facebook page
Remove the Guesswork BOOK by Leanne Spencer
Rise and Shine BOOK by Leanne Spencer