Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Have you ever wondered how powerful human touch is? Find out in this Insight’s episode as we highlight the benefits of human contact and how it can effortlessly make you feel good.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- How neurotransmitters relate to our well-being
- How to positively improve levels of DOSE (Dopamine, Oxytocin, Serotonin, Endorphin)
- Benefits of human touch
- What is Vagus nerve and its effect when activated
- Changing one’s physiology
- Human touch enhances levels of neurotransmitters in our body.
- When we say human touch, it does not necessarily equate to sensual or sexual interaction. It can be in a form of a handshake, hug, eye contact, hand on a shoulder, or brush of an arm.
- Physical touch heightens the feeling of safety and trust, helps calm the cardiovascular system if it’s under stress, and activates the Vagus nerve.
- Vagus nerve is so named because it “wanders” literally throughout the body. It represents mainly the parasympathetic nervous system.
- An activated Vagus nerve causes the heart rate and blood pressure to go down transitioning your body to a more relaxed state.
- As per the Survival Rule of 3, we’ll only last 3 months without human contact.
- Meditation, breathing and smiling are some ways on how to change one’s physiology.
- As soon as you go home, reach out to your partner, child or animal.
- If you’re not particularly a tactile person, maybe come out of your comfort zone a little bit to achieve human contact.
“When you start to understand the importance of these neurotransmitters and what you can do to positively enhance them, I think that’s very empowering.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
More from Leanne Spencer:
Bodyshot Performance Limited Facebook page
Remove the Guesswork BOOK by Leanne Spencer
Rise and Shine BOOK by Leanne Spencer