What do you want to do with your health? What are your goals and your ultimate aspiration? In this week’s Insights, I talk about how our answers to these questions are absolutely critical for the way we’re living our lives.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/podcasts-blog for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- My ultimate aspiration for health
- How I picture myself in old age
- What I need to be doing now to achieve my aspiration for health
- Looking after your brain health includes making sure you have enough omega-3, drinking plenty of water, and challenging your brain with solving problems.
- Mental nourishment is things like 10 minutes of meditation and periodically taking breaks.
- We shouldn’t be afraid of healthy amounts of fat in our body. But keep in mind that having too much fat predisposes us to metabolic conditions.
- As we age, particularly for women, once we become postmenopausal, we experience big drops in our estrogen, which is vital for bone density.
- Our gut microbiome has a strong bearing on our health.
- Get an appropriate amount of sleep.
- Engage in activities that blend mental cognition with physical activity.
- Keep an eye on your body composition and make sure that you have a healthy amount of fat as well as healthy amounts of muscle.
- Do resistance-based exercise, especially when you are postmenopausal.
- Put a lot of focus on your gut health.
- Be careful about the right intensity of exercise at the right time, and the right type.
“If we can really anchor that ultimate vision [for health], it’s going to really inform what we do today.”
“What do you want to be doing when you’re 85? What do you want to be doing when you’re 100? Reverse-engineer the steps you’re going to need to take so you get a clear indication of what you need to do now.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things I discuss in the show:
More from Leanne Spencer: