How is your mood impacted by your environment? Author Ben Channon delves into the topic and talks about the role the environment plays on one’s mental health and wellbeing, as well as shares insights from his book Happy by Design.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- The impact of the environment on mood and mental wellbeing
- Some signs and symptoms of a mental health problem
- Ben’s TED Talk and insights from his book Happy by Design
- Biophilia and some of the ways we can replicate nature in the workplace
- Ben’s personal experience of recovering from a mental health problem
- We should be living in and working in buildings that are full of natural daylight, that are full of plants and nature, and that are comfortable for us to be in.
- Having big green walls in a corporate environment functions in two ways: it’s bringing greenery into the workplace as well as making the statement that they care about bringing nature indoors and its positive effect on people.
- Physical and mental health are in this kind of feedback loop. They directly affect each other.
- Your environment can change your behaviors in a subtle way. A building, for example, can encourage you to be more sociable.
- Being able to personalize their desk space makes employees more productive and happier.
- Make the best of your surroundings.
- Bring plants into your home and into your workplace.
- Personalise your desk space.
- Go out and get enough sunlight.
- Don’t underestimate the impact of blue light on your physical and mental health.
“The architecture that you surround yourself with is never going to be the thing that causes you major depression, and it’s never going to be the thing, at the same time, that cures a mental illness. But what I believe our surroundings can do is push us a few percent up or down…”
“Facing a wall or facing a window, it might seem like a small thing, but if that’s making you happier about coming into work every single day, the positive impact that that’s going to have on your overall disposition is going to be enormous.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things mentioned in the show:
- Happy by Design: A Guide to Architecture and Mental Wellbeing by Ben Channon
- One simple idea to improve mental well-being worldwide | Ben Channon | TEDxCardiffUniversity
Past episode mentioned that you shouldn’t miss:
More from Ben Channon:
More from Leanne Spencer:
Photo by David Rose