Podcast: Play in new window | Download
How can wearable tech help us in our journey towards health, fitness, and wellbeing? In this episode, I talk about my favourite piece of wearable tech called the Oura Ring and how we can optimise the data it provides to achieve our goals.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- What is the Oura Ring
- What makes the Oura Ring an amazing piece of technology
- How I use the Oura Ring in conjunction with the Apple Watch
- The data points that the Oura Ring provides
- The Oura Ring is one of the most accurate sleep trackers on the market.
- The data points that the Oura Ring provides include total sleep, total bedtime, and sleep composition.
- Sleep is composed of light sleep, deep sleep, and REM sleep in 90-minute cycles. Most of your deep sleep happens in the first half and most of your REM sleep happens in the second half.
- Most people need 7.5 to 8 hours of sleep at night.
- When you’re well-recovered, your resting heart rate will settle early in the evening. If you’re not very well-recovered and your nervous system is under strain, your resting heart rate will settle quite late into the night. The earlier it settles, the better.
- The Oura Ring also tracks activity such as steps and low, medium, and high intensity exercise; activity burn; activity completion; and activity score. It also records inactivity time.
- Heart rate variability (HRV) is the interbeat interval. A healthy heart does not have a regular interbeat interval but an irregular interbeat interval. HRV is a very subjective number, but generally, the higher the better.
- Resting heart rate is the number of times your heart beats per minute when you’re at rest. Generally, the lower the number, the better.
- Get the Oura Ring and start tracking your sleep, activity, and recovery.
“[The Oura Ring] not only records your sleep to an extremely high level of accuracy… it’s also tracking all your activity and movement data… Because it then cross-correlates the sleep data with the activity data to provide you with the main headline, which is your recovery data.”
“[The Oura Ring] is absolutely perfect for hard-charging executives, busy type of professionals who don’t necessarily have an issue with moving. It’s about putting the breaks on. It’s about understanding when to slow down and stop.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
- Oura Ring – use discount code BODYSHOT for 10% off
More from Leanne Spencer:
Bodyshot Performance Limited Facebook page
Remove the Guesswork BOOK by Leanne Spencer
Rise and Shine BOOK by Leanne Spencer