What are mental, emotional, and cognitive abilities? How do you develop them? Rob Gronbeck the founder of The Brain Room talks about creating a space for people to develop these abilities and how they’re able to up-level their cognitive and emotional intelligence.
Visit https://www.bodyshotperformance.com/topic/podcasts/ for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- Helping people develop their cognitive attention
- What the Flow Genome Project is all about
- Getting yourself into high-performance states
- The flow training methods that impact neurotransmitters in a positive way
- When you think about the brain, you can think about it like you think about the body. There are different parts, and each of them does a certain thing.
- If you want to work on your attention or visual attention, you need to do things that will activate or up-regulate the activities in the frontal lobes and the visual lobes.
- When you can incorporate play with a focus task, your neurochemicals, your heart rate variability, your cardiac resonance, all these wonderful things tend to spike. And you’re left in this afterglow where you feel good, you’re operating amazingly, and you have an hour or so in that state which you can devote to high-performance creativity or solving problems.
- Flow is the state where your skills match the challenge of the task at hand.
- Train and up-skill your focus.
- Build a routine to get into a high-performance state.
- Find your flow.
“There’s a certain matrix for everybody where, when you get the right tumbler in the right spot and boom, you get flow… More flow, less low.”
“A really high challenge with your best skills will make you feel like you are probably skiing down a slope that you’re just not comfortable with but you can just make it. And it’s thrilling, and it’s scary, and you don’t know what’s going to happen next, but somehow your unconscious takes over and you just find yourself performing.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re interested in finding out what your health IQ is, take the Health IQ test to find out, and get a free 39-page report built around our six signals, which are sleep, mental health, energy, body composition, digestion, and fitness.
If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard on this episode and it’s added value to you, share the episode with someone you think could benefit from it. And don’t forget to leave a rating or a review and subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts.
Links to things mentioned in the show:
- TED Talk ‘Breathholding is the New Black’
- Podcast Episode: Hacking Your Brain for Improved Performance and Better Health with Rob Gronbeck
- Flow Genome Project
- Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work by Steven Kotler and Jamie Wheal
More from Rob Gronbeck:
More from Leanne Spencer: