Exercise for longevity — how much exercise do I have to do in order to increase my longevity?
- Walk fast for an hour every day.
- Take the stairs instead of escalators and elevators.
- On the weekend, walk everywhere, even faraway places (avoid polluted areas as much as possible).
- Do moderate exercise for 2.5 to 5 hours a week, with some of it in the vigorous range. Most of the beneficial effects appear to be caused by the first 2.5 hours of exercise, making the additional exercise optional.
- Use weight training or weight-free exercises to strengthen all muscles.
- To maximize muscle growth, consume at least 30 grams of protein in a single low-carb meal 1-2 hours after a relatively intense weight-training session.
(Source: Chapter 5, The Longevity Diet, Valter Longo, PhD)